Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Please help me get AVG ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM on my computer (xp, sp2) I'm unsure how to proceed sa

My machine came loaded with McAfee's trial version, and when it expired, I downloaded the free version of PC Tools antivirus. (mistake #1 ?)



Now I have learned I should have removed all McAfee files prior to setting up PC Tools.



I simply downloaded the new pgm. and it set itself up, and seemed OK.



Now I get pop up warnings that PC Tools version 3.1.0.17 is out of date, but when I try to update it, I get a message, ''DOWNLOAD FAILED, TRY AGAIN LATER''



I've browsed ''Y'' Answers for info, and find most people prefer AVG, and warn that removing McAfee is difficult, and same for PC Tools.



Here's what I THINK I should do:



1. Back up files I need.



2. Download AVG to a file or a disk?



3. Download Mc uninst. tool.



4. Find a PC Tools uninstall tool?



5. Offline, remove Mc and Pc Tools. and install AVG.



6. Pray.



(system restore not attractive, because PCT was added long time ago. Also, I don't have a windows install disk)



Your help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED !



Please help me get AVG ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM on my computer (xp, sp2) I'm unsure how to proceed safely.?best antivirus software



Well it's not the best idea to have more than one AV program running at once but to have them installed, but not active? I'm not sure. I have had to manually uninstall many MacAfee products in the past. I'm almost positive this is causing all of your problems. It's a pain, but they do give you step by step instructions on their website(just find your product and search for manually uninstall). Their auto uninstall stinks it leaves a ton of registry and shared files behind and will eventually corrupt your whole system, my advice once you get rid of it don't ever install another MacAfee product on your computer until they get their crap together.

No comments:

Post a Comment